Saturday, December 24, 2011

The Last Christmas

My son Matt had a special nickname for our dear friend Ann Nutt ... he always called her Ima. Get it? Ima Nutt. And every time Matt would call her Ima, Ann would laugh and laugh and say, "Yes, I am a Nutt and proud of it!" All three of my children adored Annie, and she treated my kids as if they were her own grandchildren. Ann was kind of like a combination sister, best friend and mom to me ... she was without question one of the most honest, generous, sincere, loving persons I've ever known. We lost Annie several years ago, and to this day, I miss her. And every year when Christmas comes, I remember the last one we shared with Ann ... eating dinner, opening gifts and playing games ... the memories of that time together always make me smile. I remember that night in vivid detail, and each evening when I turn on my moose lamp she gave me that year, I think of Annie. That was a good Christmas ... one filled with laughter and love.

When we went to Ann's house that Christmas, none of us knew that it would be our final one together. I've thought a lot about that over the last couple of weeks ... about the last Christmases I've had with those I loved down through the years ... Jerry, Daddy, Mom, Charlotte, Annie, Granny. One thing holds true in all of those Christmases ... I didn't know that they would be the last ones I would get to share with those folks who were so dear to me. And I can't help but wonder ... would I have done things differently had I known? Would I have spoken different words? Would I have listened more intently? Would I have looked deeper into their precious eyes? Would I have held the hugs a little longer? Would I have savored every moment instead of rushing through them? Would I have tried harder to make sure they knew how much I loved them? Would I? Would I? I can only hope that I would have done all of those things and so much more.

Here's the thing, friends ... there's not one of us walking on this earth together who has the promise of tomorrow, not one of us. So as you gather together with your family and friends to honor Christmas this year, honor each other as well. Celebrate as if there will be no tomorrow. May words of encouragement and understanding flow from your lips ... may you give your undivided attention to the words that are spoken to you ... may you look into eyes but see into souls ... may you wrap your arms around those you love and hold them tightly ... may you slow down and rest in the moments ... may you love and love and love and love and love. May you have many more Christmases together, but treat this one gently and deliberately ... celebrate it as if it were the last Christmas you will share.

Now that I think about it ... we really should live every single day as if it is our last. I wonder how much different we all would be if we did ... I wonder. My prayer for each of you is that your Christmas be blessed ... that it overflows with laughter and love. May you have a nothing taken for granted, treasure every moment, wonder-filled Christmas, friends.

1 comment:

Sarah Koenig said...

This Christmas might be my last with my dad, who has cancer, and my step-dad, who has had several complications since a severe car wreck. It definitely drives home the point that you should enjoy every moment you have with people, and that you should never leave things unsaid.