Friday, December 23, 2011

Love Story

I'd be willing to bet that many, if not most, of you who hail from my generation remember the 1970 movie Love Story starring Ryan O'Neal and Ali MacGraw. The film tells the story of Oliver Barrett IV, who comes from a wealthy family of Harvard graduates, and Jennifer Cavalleri, the working-class, quick-witted Radcliffe College student whom he falls in love with. Upon graduation, the two decide to get married against the wishes of Oliver's father who thinks Jenny isn't good enough for his son; in fact, he severs ties with Oliver. Jenny and Oliver eventually decide to try and have a child, and when she doesn't become pregnant, she undergoes a series of medical tests which reveal that she is gravely ill and doesn't have much time left. Following the advice of the doctor, Oliver tries to lead a normal life and not tell Jenny that she is sick, but she eventually confronts the doctor herself and learns the truth. Oliver goes to his father to borrow money for Jenny's treatment ... his father gives him the money but assumes that Oliver needs it for an indiscretion of some sort. Jenny passes away in Oliver's arms, and his father, having learned the truth approaches the grieving Oliver as he leaves the hospital and attempts to apologize. Oliver tells his father what Jenny always told him ... "Love means never having to say you're sorry" ... and walks away. I'd also be willing to bet that those of you who've seen the movie have tears in your eyes right now ... one of the saddest romantic dramas of all time.

While the idea of never having to say you're sorry to someone you love sounds wonderful in theory, I think the real truth is that loving someone means just the opposite ... saying a heartfelt "I'm sorry" when you're wrong defines a sincere heart and a selfless spirit. I also think that those two little words ... "I'm sorry" ... may be among the two hardest ones for most of us to utter. Admitting that your words or actions have wounded the heart of someone dear to you is tough, tough, tough. I had to say those words last night to someone ... even though I didn't intend to hurt her, I have, and my "I'm sorry" seemed so very inadequate and small.

The more I've thought about it today, the more I've thought about how the next few days are the celebration of the greatest love story of all. God loved each of us so much that He sent His only son to be born of a virgin in a stable ... such a humble beginning for a King. I've thought about the day that I fell on my face in a tiny room at church and cried out "I'm sorry" over and over and over again. I've thought about the sermon that began my journey to the cross ... a sermon about authenticity and realness. I've thought a lot today about forgiveness and grace ... a whole, whole lot. I think love ... open, honest, real and transparent love ... most definitely means saying "I'm sorry."

No comments: