Wednesday, April 17, 2013

God Doesn't Care

When my daughter Meghann was young, she had a gift for saying funny things. Actually, she had a gift for combining different phrases together to create some really funny statements. Some of her "Meghann-isms," as we called them, have lived on, and I'm sure that someday she'll tell her children about her very funny combo phrases. One of my all-time favorite Meghann sayings was, "It doesn't care." That was my sweet daughter's combination of "I don't care," and "It doesn't matter." She whipped that phrase out of her repertoire most often when she was angry with her brothers, but she also used it on countless other occasions as well. In fact, "It doesn't care," became somewhat of a trademark statement for my Megs ... one that still makes me smile even now all these years later.

I've had Meghann's "It doesn't care" on my mind a lot this week for some reason, perhaps because I've been feeling rather nostalgic for the last few days and have been thinking a lot about things my kiddos did or said when they were little guys. I met with an attorney today to discuss some updates to my will, and when I left his office, I was in a rather somber mood. I suppose there's nothing like discussing your eventual demise to put you in a somber mood, though, eh? As I dodged raindrops on the way to my car after my meeting, I found myself once again thinking about Meghann's words. And as quickly as her words entered my mind, I thought about my will ... I thought about the people who matter most to me ... I thought about what I really do care about. By the time I put the key in the ignition of my car, my mind had skipped from the words of my daughter down an entirely different path. I was suddenly struck with a realization ... I was hit full in the face with a truth that I had never even considered before. If anyone doesn't care, it's God. God doesn't care ... He doesn't care at all.

God doesn't care what kind of car I drive ... but He cares a whole lot about whether or not I offer someone a ride who has no means of transportation.

God doesn't care about the brand of clothes I wear ... but He cares a whole lot about whether or not I clothe someone who is naked.

God doesn't care if I drink water or tea or coffee or beer ... but He cares a whole lot about whether or not I offer a cool drink to someone who is thirsty.

God doesn't care that I have a prestigious job ... but He cares a whole lot about whether or not I am kind to my co-workers. 

God doesn't care about the size of my house ... but He cares a whole lot about whether or not it's a home filled with love.

God doesn't care how much money I have ... but He cares a whole lot about whether or not I give to someone who has nothing.

God doesn't care what I eat for breakfast ... but He cares a whole lot about whether or not I feed someone who is hungry.

God doesn't care if I'm an eloquent speaker ... but He cares a whole lot about whether or not I talk to someone who is lonely.

God doesn't care if my muscles are toned ... but He cares a whole lot about whether or not I carry the burden of someone who is hurting.

God doesn't care about so many things I think are important ... but He cares a whole lot about me.

"For I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me something to drink; I was a stranger, and you invited Me in; naked, and you clothed Me; I was sick, and you visited Me; I was in prison, and you came to Me.' Then the righteous will answer Him, 'Lord, when did we see You hungry, and feed You, or thirsty, and give You something to drink? And when did we see You a stranger, and invite You in, or naked, and clothe You? When did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?' The King will answer and say to them, 'Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me.'" Matthew 25:35-40  

No comments: