Monday, April 1, 2013

True North

Sometimes people make an impression upon me, and I never forget them. Such is the case with a friend I met several years ago at the church I attended at the time. We worked together on various drama programs ... she's a gifted actress and musician, and I always learned so much from her about both the writing and performance aspects of drama. I was sad when I learned that she and her husband and their two children were moving to North Dakota ... you know, one of those sad to see them leave feelings, but happy for them at the same time for the opportunity that had arisen for them. My friend and I don't talk all that often, but when we do, it's like picking up exactly where we left off. I love those kinds of friendships ... friendships that transcend time and distance, and just grow deeper with every passing year. I've had cause to chat more frequently as of late with my friend who now lives in the cold and snowy northland, and she's blessed me time and time again with her words of understanding and her spirit of love and acceptance. You see, it's friends like my North Dakota bud who remind me that even when I feel as though I may never find my way, there's always a true north ... there's always someone to lead me home.

As you know, I've been in Canada for the last couple of days ... and yes, I came here on a flipping airplane. My son Brad says he owes me a punch in the face, too, by the way; that was his plan for when I freaked out on the plane, but then I think he decided he didn't want to get arrested or tackled by the air marshall. But I digress ... back to being in Canada with my son Matt and his family. It's been great to be here with Matt and Becca and C.J., and I've got a feeling I'm going to have a hard time leaving on Saturday for way more reasons than not wanting to get on the airplane. Friday after we arrived, we all went for a walk to the grocery store and then us big guys played a game after Miss C.J. went to bed. Yesterday, we went to the huge indoor farmer's market, and then we stopped at a vintage clothing store on our way back (after an hour or so diversion to look for my glasses which I hadn't realized I had dropped ... big kudos to Bradley for finding them!). Last night we ate dinner at an awesome Japanese restaurant, and I was amazed at the amount and variety of food that C.J. consumed. Then we went to the biggest bookstore I've ever been in ... I could live in that store. No, seriously, I could live in there because there's a Starbucks inside the store. And today ... today was Easter and I got to watch my precious little C.J. find and open plastic eggs filled with Cheerios and yogurt drops. She had so much fun, and so did all four of us grownups who were completely mesmerized by her. Heck, I've been mesmerized from her from the moment I walked in the door and saw her beautiful blue eyes and her adorable little face.

There's been more than a few times since I've been here that I've just watched and listened to my sons and daughter-in-law as they talked and laughed. I've walked alongside Matt as he pushed C.J. in her stroller and listened as he talked about his job, his life in Canada and his daughter. I've stood in the kitchen with Becca and laughed as she teased me about ... well, never mind, suffice it to say she was teasing me about stuff. This evening, I watched my sons layer up with clothing and go sit on the front porch to smoke cigars and drink bourbon. And tonight, I chatted with my daughter Meghann on Facebook and wished desperately that she and my son-in-law Barrett and Brad's girlfriend Shelby were all here in Canada, too. You see, I've known for a while now that my true north, my someones to help me find my way home are my children ... I've known that for a long while actually, and the last few months have only served to prove it to me in a more powerful way than ever before. 

Tonight as I type this post, I'm as far north as the interstate goes in Canada. You can go farther north, but I suppose it's on two-lane roads if there are roads at all. Tonight as I type this post, I may be that far north as far as maps and geography and interstates go ... but tonight in my heart, I know that the roads of love that exist between me and my children have no beginning and no end. Those roads just are ... that's all ... those roads of love between us just are ... they are my true north, my way home, my compass of the heart.

 

No comments: