Monday, April 15, 2013

On My Tombstone

Today our country was once again shaken by a senseless act of violence, and tonight we grieve for those who lost their lives and pray for the ones who were injured in the explosions that took place at the Boston Marathon. There are so many questions following such a heinous act, many that will probably never be answered. It is impossible for me to ever conceive the type of mind that would intentionally harm innocent people. My heart goes out to all the people who were present in Boston today, and my prayers are especially with the families of those who were killed or wounded.

I've written so often in this blog about lessons that God teaches me and the many different methods He uses to teach me those truths. Four people in my office at various times today said the following words to me ... "Life is short." And when I heard about the tragedy that unfolded in Boston, I understood why God wanted me to sear those words into my soul today. Life can be so very, very short, friends ... so very, very short. In the blink of an eye, a life can be forever altered ... in the blink of an eye, a life can be lost. The more I thought about the brevity of life today, the more I began to think about the legacy each of us leave behind ... the more I began to wonder about the legacy I will leave ... the more I began to ponder how I will be remembered. It's odd to me that I had that very conversation with two different people today ... about what people will remember when I leave this earthly life. And as I drove home this evening, I couldn't shake the words from earlier today ... the words of my friends or the words I spoke. And the question that pounded in my head as I took Oliver for a short walk after dinner was this ... how do I hope to be remembered when I'm gone?

I hope I'm not remembered for being short rather than tall ... I hope I stand behind those I love and that's what you remember. I hope I'm not remembered for being eloquent with words ... I hope I listen to those who need to talk and that's what you remember. I hope I'm not remembered for my deep blue eyes ... I hope I see the pain of those who are hurting and that's what you remember. I hope I'm not remembered for being gay ... I hope I have a heart for everyone God created and that's what you remember. I hope I am kind ... I hope I am loyal ... I hope I am trustworthy ... I hope I am compassionate ... I hope I am loving. I hope I am all of those things and so many more ... I hope that's what you remember.

I've mentioned before about the quotes I have hanging in my cubicle and on my computer screen at work, and there is one that has had a lot of meaning for me recently ... and even more so today. I'm going to close with the quote, but first ... life really is short, friends, it really is. Love each other ... take care of each other ... look out for each other ... be kind to each other ... listen to each other ... help each other. If you live out those words ... if I live out those words ... we'll all be remembered for the things that really matter.

"I don't want my life to be defined by what is etched on a tombstone. I want it to be defined by what is etched in the lives and hearts of those I've touched."


1 comment:

M Landtiser said...

Right on, keep preachin' sister!