Saturday, April 6, 2013

Homeward Bound

I wonder how many trips I've taken in my lifetime ... how many times I've gone away and then come back home. I've traveled quite a bit in the eastern United States, made quite a few trips to Colorado and a ton of trips throughout the Midwest for speaking engagements. I even went to Mexico for college classes many, many years ago. But, as those of you who read along with me know, this trip to Canada to see Matt, Becca and C.J. required me to get on an airplane for the first time in more than 20 years. I owe my son Bradley big time for traveling with me and helping me actually get on the plane. Actually, it's planes, plural ... two to come to Canada and now we are waiting in the airport to get on two more to fly us home.

Even though Matt and Becca spent a couple of days fighting the flu, we still had a great visit and I especially enjoyed my time with my granddaughter. We read together, giggled together, walked together, ate together, played together ... and she gave me a whole bunch of hugs ... hugs I've missed out on for the last 7 months since the kiddos moved to Canada. And I can assure you of one thing ... I will not wait another 7 months to see her again ... nope, nope, nope, I won't. 

Matt, Becca, Brad and I spent our last evening together playing a cutthroat game of Monopoly, which of course Becca won. Becca won most of the games we played this past week ... and Bec, I think your competitive spirit rivals that of any of my three children. This morning we walked to a quaint little cafe for breakfast, and I watched C.J. eat part of a cinnamon roll, huevos rancheros and bread. I tried my best not to get teary as we walked back to their house ... thank goodness for dark sunglasses and a coat with a big hood that I could pull down over my face, eh?

So it's about time to board the plane, which means it's time for me to pop a pill and hopefully go to sleep for this leg of the trip ... the 3-hour leg of the trip on a little plane ... hooray ... not. Thank you to Bradley for enduring the flights with me ... thank you to Matt and Becca for spending the week with us and for all you did to make us feel welcome ... and thank you to C.J. for letting me love you, for the hugs and kisses and all the sweetness.

Homeward bound ... homeward bound.    

No comments: