Thursday, June 27, 2013

A Love Thy Neighbor Kind of Day

Ever have a morning when you just didn't want to wake up? A morning when your dogs didn't rouse you before 6 a.m. and were snuggled next to you snoring? A morning when you hit the snooze button 11 times before you finally hauled your rear out of bed? A morning when you had planned to wear dress slacks and a nice shirt but instead opted for shorts and a t-shirt? That was my morning today. I was exhausted last night ... I hadn't slept well the night before because I was nervous about speaking yesterday. So when my alarm began to beep this morning, I groaned and pushed the snooze button time and time again. I eventually got up, took care of Julie and Ollie, showered and ate breakfast. By the time I finally got around to getting dressed, I was completely unmotivated to dress up for the day. I chose shorts and one of my favorite t-shirts ... yep, I chose my Love Thy Neighbor t-shirt. As I pulled the royal blue shirt with the white lettering on the back over my head, I said aloud to Julie and Ollie, "It's a Love Thy Neighbor kind of day, dogs ... a Love Thy Neighbor kind of day for sure." 

For those of you who don't recall the words on my Love Thy Neighbor shirt, please allow me to refresh your memory ...

Love Thy Neighbor

Thy Homeless Neighbor
Thy Muslim Neighbor
Thy Black Neighbor
Thy Gay Neighbor
Thy White Neighbor
Thy Jewish Neighbor
Thy Christian Neighbor
Thy Atheist Neighbor
Thy Racist Neighbor
Thy Addicted Neighbor

I'm a gum chewer ... I chew gum every single day, and the first thing I do when I get in my car each morning to drive to work is pop a couple of pieces of Trident gum in my mouth. I usually have a couple of packs stashed in the little cubby under the radio in my car, two or three different flavors so that I can choose based on the mood I'm in that day. So this morning as I waited for the garage door to close before I backed out of the driveway, I opened the compartment where I keep my gum ... only to discover that the two packages of Trident were completely empty. I knew I would never be able to wait until my lunch hour to run to the gas station close to my office to buy gum, so I made an instant (and quite necessary) decision to make a quick stop at the station down the street from my house.

As is always the case when I'm in a hurry and running late for work, the parking lot was full of cars and there were several people waiting to pay for their items. I grabbed three packs of Trident and headed to take my place in line. I sensed that someone had gotten in line behind me, so when the gentleman said, "I like your shirt ... very nice ... great message," I turned so that I could see him and say thanks. I was a little surprised to see an older gray-haired gentleman ... I'm not sure why, but for some reason, it surprised me to receive such a positive comment from someone who was obviously quite a bit older than me. I smiled as I thanked him, and he asked where I got my shirt, saying he would like to have one. That's when the much younger man in line behind the older gentleman spoke up ... and I was once again surprised, not by his kind words, mind you, not by his kind words.

"That's just b.s.," he said angrily, except that he actually said the words and not the letters. "Just b.s. ... no one needs to love those people." I didn't say a word and instead turned back toward the counter, wondering exactly which of "those people" the young man was referring to in his comment. "Please let these people just pay and go, and get me out of here," I thought to myself. I could see the older gentleman out of the corner of my eye as he turned to face the younger guy. "Don't say anything, old man," I thought. "Don't say anything, please." Obviously the old guy couldn't read my mind, because he calmly and patiently said, "Young man, I like this nice lady's shirt, and if I can find one to purchase, I will wear it proudly. I believe the words on the shirt are true and that God commands us to love all people. According to God's Word, son, you are as much my neighbor as any of the people listed on this little gal's shirt." The young man didn't say a word as the older gentleman smiled, turned back toward the counter and nodded his head at me as if to say, "Don't worry, gal ... I've got this."

Needless to say, I haven't been able to get those two guys out of my mind all day. Needless to say, I learned a huge lesson this morning ... one that will stay with me for a very, very, very long time. Here's the thing ... every time I wear my Love Thy Neighbor shirt, I'm reminded of the day I broke down at work. I'm reminded of the sobbing confession I made to my friend as I told her I was once the person who judged the very people my shirt and the Bible tell me to love unconditionally. I'm reminded of saying that I had learned what it felt like to be judged and that I never wanted to judge another person again. I'm reminded of how I felt the first day I felt brave enough to actually wear the shirt to work. I'm reminded of the people who continue to love me ... unconditionally ... faithfully ... tirelessly ... fearlessly. I'm reminded that love and acceptance often comes from the most unexpected souls ... the soul of an older, silver-haired gentleman at the gas station ... the soul I would have expected judgment from ... the soul who surprised me this morning.

Suddenly I'm struck by a thought ... it's not just today that's a Love Thy Neighbor kind of day, or at least it shouldn't be. Every day should be a Love Thy Neighbor day ... every single day, friends ... every single day.




No comments: