Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Out of the Blue

I had made up my mind that I wasn't going to write a post tonight ... I'm tired, and I need to work on a couple of other writing projects that popped up since yesterday. And I need to practice for speaking to the head doctors next week. And I need to do several other things before I go to bed tonight. But I opted for taking Oliver for a short walk before tackling those tasks ... a short walk that turned into a most unexpected encounter that ... well ... an unexpected encounter that totally blessed my socks off.

I've mentioned many times in this blog about all the folks I have met as I've walked along the trail over the last three years ... so many great folks, so very many. I've seen kids grow up on the trail ... I've seen older folks grow older ... I've seen parents welcome new babies into their family ... I've seen people say goodbye to their much-loved pups ... I've seen people be kind to one another ... I've seen people be mean to one another. So many people I've met over the last three years, so many hearts I've gotten to know, so many stories I've been told.

It was as Ollie walked along the sidewalk part of our path toward home that I noticed one of the sweet ladies I met when J.R. and I walked together out working in her yard. I tugged the earphone out of my ear as she waved, and I hollered out a "Hey, there!" when I got close enough for her to hear me. it's been a while since I had seen her out, and I asked how she was doing. She told me she'd had a medical procedure done earlier today, and we chatted about health and work and children and life. She spoke about the things that beat a person down, things that make life hard to understand at times. She asked how I was, and as her eyes bored into mine, I looked down and kicked at the concrete beneath my feet. "I'm doing okay ... I'm getting better. Last year was a tough year, but I'm getting better." And when I raised my head and looked into her eyes, I knew ... I knew that she knew. And then she said something that caused my eyes to brim with tears ... something out of the blue ... something that touched my heart in a giant way.

"You light up this trail, friend ... you light up this trail with your smile and your loving heart. You're something special, very special ... and that is all that matters to me. You light up this trail, and all the lives of the people you touch with your spirit. That's all that matters to me ... that's all that matters."

Her husband walked up and patted Ollie on the head, and the woman asked if she could give me a hug. She told her husband what she had just told me, and he said, "She's smart, my wife, and she's right. You should listen to her." I thanked both of them and told them how much what they said means to me ... and though I tried to express it as best I could as my voice cracked and the tears came, I'm sure that they will never fully understand how much I needed to hear their words of acceptance and love tonight.

Out of the blue ... such an unexpected blessing out of the blue ... God has a way of doing that, you know, sending along someone to remind me of what's most important in this life ... touching the heart of another ... bringing some light into the darkness ... loving unconditionally ... encouraging our fellow travelers on the trail of life. Sleep well, friends, and keep your eyes and hearts and ears wide open ... you might just get a blessing of your own ... out of the blue.  

No comments: