Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Dirty Costco

Several times over the last almost 11 years since I went to work for the advertising agency where I'm employed, other companies have come knocking on my door attempting to persuade me to come and work for them instead. I've written enough about my job and the company I work for that those of you who've been reading along with me for any length of time at all know how I feel about both the company itself and the people I work with every day ... beyond blessed pretty much sums it up ... I am beyond blessed to work for SHS, and the people there are truly some of the best folks I've ever known, both inside the office and out as well. Today was one of those days when I was acutely aware that were it not for some of my friends there, I probably would not be here today sitting on my couch typing these words.

My day didn't get off to the best start ... a visit to my doctor for blood work is never on the top of my list as a great way to begin the day. I'm pretty sure the vampire lady drained at least half of the blood from my body through the needle she stuck in the top of my hand. I will say, however, that she is the best vampire ever ... she never hurts me, and she's great at getting blood out of my tiny, hard-to-stick veins. It was 9:30 by the time I got to work, and I was thankful that the stack of work waiting for me on my desk was quite manageable and didn't take me long to read. I always feel a little "off" after those bigger blood draws, and today was no exception so I was grateful for a slower morning on the editing front.

One of the many responsibilities that my good friend Hil is responsible for at work is periodically going to Costco or Sam's to purchase various items for the office ... things like paper plates and cups, snacks, Clorox wipes, hand lotion, candy ... you get the picture. There was a time a few years ago when that particular responsibility fell to me, and you all know how very much I love shopping ... not. But I do love my job, so I made many a trip to the big warehouse stores and bought like a gazillion bags of M&Ms and a million bottles of hand lotion. The truth is that it's kind of a big job to go buy all the stuff for our office ... lots of loading and unloading and putting away, so when time allows, I often accompany Hil when she needs to make a run to Costco or Sam's. Today was one of those days when we needed a ton of items, and since it was a slower morning for me, I quickly agreed to go with Hil to Costco.

Did I mention that I had blood drawn this morning? And that I'm always a little off when they suck half the blood out of my body? Oh, yeah ... I did. Well, Hil and I weren't even out of the building this morning before we were bantering ... not arguing, bantering. That's one of the things I love most about her, you know, her fun sense of humor and her feisty spirit. She loves to tease me about things, especially when I'm down or when I'm a bit off my game. Sometimes I think that's one of her primary goals each day ... to make me smile and laugh at myself. And you know what else I think? I think that's the mark of a true friend, a true friend indeed ... one who comes to work each day with such a caring and giving heart that wants to see me happy and smiling.

By the time we walked into Costco, we were both laughing as Hil teased me about finding someone to date. As much as I wish that I could say that our conversation shifted to all things holy and righteous, that would simply be a lie. The truth is that the longer we shopped, the more raucous our comments became and the louder our laughter grew. While some might say that our conversation was ... I'll let you fill in your own words ... I can't remember when I've laughed like I did this morning. It was more than appropriate that when we got to the cashier to pay for the two fully loaded carts of stuff, there was an issue with the name on our business membership Costco card (it's my name on the card, but Hil was paying with her company credit card). The cashier asked for identification, and I had left my wallet at the office ... and the harder we tried to explain why the membership card had my name on it and Hil was paying with a card with her name on it ... well, suffice it to say that the outcome involved a not-so-nice manager who finally let us pay for the $600 worth of things as she uttered under her breath, "I'll let it go just this one time." Really? Let it go this one time? Let us spend $600 in your store today, but don't try it again? Really???

To say that Hil and I were ticked off is a big fat understatement, and we were grumbling in a big way as we waited for the guy to check our carts and allow us to exit the store. I stood with my mouth open as he began to lift things in the carts to make sure we weren't stealing any granola bars or paper plates. As we walked to the car, I told Hil that the checkout experience made me feel more like a criminal than I do when I go to the pharmacy to pick up certain medications. I cracked up as Hil let loose with a couple of choice words, and I quipped, "This needs to be my blog post for tonight ... Dirty Costco!" And Hil cracked up as she readily agreed and laughed right along with me.

So here's the thing ... I spent a lot of my life trying not to say or do anything even a little raucous or naughty, in large part because I was afraid I would slip up and reveal my true self. Getting real and honest, however, has caused me to understand that it's OK to kid around about who I am from time to time ... that I need to let my guard down and have fun once in a while ... that it's important to let those who love me help me find my smile again. This one's for you, Hil, my dear friend ... I love you like a sister, and I mean it ... one of the best, most important, special days of my life was the day you walked in the door of SHS and decided to become part of our family there. Tell your hubs and your girls that I sure appreciate them sharing you and your heart with me and all the other folks at work every day. You bless us all, girl ... you surely, surely do.  

No comments: