Sunday, March 24, 2013

People Like Me ... And You

If there's one thing those of you who are parents of multiple children can relate to, it's this ... no two children are alike, and their differences are often evidenced even while they are in the womb. That was certainly true of my three children anyway. Matt had the hiccups every single day while I was pregnant with him, and it was more than comical to watch my belly jiggle every time he hiccupped. Brad was the calmest and most laid back of my three, he wasn't a big kicker or mover ... well ... until he decided to enter the world just a few short minutes after I arrived at the hospital when I went into labor. Meghann was the most active ... holy cow, was she active ... she kicked and rolled around and seemed to never sleep. And to this day, my three wonderful children are still as different as night and day. I notice their differences when we are all together, but I think I notice them even more when I spend time with them individually. I've come to realize something over the last years, however ... for as different as my kiddos are, they are also very much alike in one huge way. Matt, Brad and Meghann are very much alike when it comes to love ... the way they love me, the way they love those who mean the most to them in this world, and even the way they love each other (though they would never admit that one).

I spent a good part of today cleaning house, doing laundry and packing ... seemed like a good thing to do on a snowy Sunday, though I think my lazy dogs had a better idea, snuggling under blankets and snoozing the day away. When I finished with my chores, I sat down to check emails and messages, and rest my aching shoulder ... yes, it always hurts on snowy, cold days. As usual, there were ... well ... not very nice messages, but there were also some positive, encouraging ones, too, and one in particular has been rolling around in my mind ever since I read the following words ... "I've been keeping up with you and your blog ... please know that I have been praying for  you and asking God to hold you close to His side! I pray, too, that the body of Christ is loving you well ... you always have an open invitation to join us at my church! Many of us would love to see you and hug your neck! I am humbled by the ministry that unfolded before you as you shared your inmost heart ... so many people are hurting and need to know that God sees and that He cares for them! All to His glory, my friend, all to His glory! Grace and peace!"

There are many things about that dear woman's message that touched me ... so many things, and tears filled my eyes as I read it. But one phrase pierced me to the very core of my soul ... "the ministry that unfolded before you" ... yep, you can bet those words pierced my soul in a big way. Here's the thing ... lots of people have told me lately that I shouldn't be involved in any type of ministry, and I'd like you to know that you really don't have to tell me that. You see, I know how very unworthy I am better than anyone ... trust me, friends ... no one knows better than I do how undeserving I am of God's love or grace or mercy ... I know, I know, I know. But the truth? The truth is that not one of us deserves His love or grace or mercy ... in that, we are all alike. People like me and people like you ... there's nothing we can do to ever deserve Him ... not one thing. I don't know whether or not God is using me to minister to anyone, but I do know that He can choose to use even the most broken, undeserving, unworthy vessels to accomplish His purpose ... for all the things that I don't know anymore, I do know that truth remains.

People like me ... people like you ... and a great and mighty God.

No comments: