Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Universal Grit

One of the coolest things I get to do at work involves the new folks who come to work at our company. Whenever new employees join our ranks, I get to spend an hour or so with them going through an orientation booklet and getting them acclimated to our culture. It's a lot of nuts and bolts kind of info, but I also get to talk about some fun things as well and give the new kids on the block a tour around the office. It is, after all, very important that they know where the restrooms are and where to hide if the tornado sirens start sounding ... sheesh, it's almost spring. Those of you who've been reading along with me for a while know that I'm as terrified of storms as I am of airplanes and grass. Yes, grass ... another blog for another time. As I mentioned in a recent post, we've had several new people join our company over the last weeks since we acquired the Sonic account. And that means I've been doing a lot of new employee orientations. I love getting to chat with the new folks and welcome them into our midst ... it's fun to meet new people and hear their stories and see their excitement about starting their new jobs. Sometimes the orientation sessions are more lighthearted than others, and such was the case today when I sat in a conference room with our three newest hires.

I told the three ladies that they were fortunate to be having their orientation today because I had on my favorite suspenders and my black and white Converse shoes. You all know what that means ... Converse + suspenders = happy Terrie. Though I must admit, I did get a little teary when I talked about how we're a family at SHS ... stupid conference rooms. When the two gals who are field reps were getting ready to leave to go to the airport later in the day, they both hugged me and thanked me. And as I walked back to my desk, I smiled as I thought, "Family ... our SHS family is growing." There were several times today when the sense of connection, of family-ness I feel toward my co-workers was made real to me all over again. And as I climbed into my car to head home this evening, my mind was filled with thoughts of the friends I've been blessed to know during the years I've worked at our company.

My friend Lentsy ... she and I have had so many heart-to-heart talks in the almost 5 years since she came to work at SHS ... we've talked about everything under the sun and then some. She means the world to me, and I know how much I mean to her as well ... I will always remember a text message Lentsy sent to me during our Christmas break, a message that said, "Just wanted you to know I'm thinking about you." My friend Hil ... again, too many heart-to-heart conversations to count. Hil has a sweet, giving spirit and a heart of gold ... she often texts me in the evening or on the weekends to check on me, and she tells me all the time to call her if I ever need her. I love Hil like a sister, and I'd do anything in the world for her. My friend Jo ... she has some of the best stories of anyone I've ever known, and she can always make me smile. Jo is always ready to give me a hug when I desperately need one ... she loves my kids and she loves me, I've known that almost from the day I met her. My friend Ali ... she went clothes shopping with me ... true proof of a caring, loving (or completely insane) friend. Ali and I have known each other for more than 15 years, but it's only been in recent months that we've grown closer as friends. She was there on one of the darkest days of my life ... and she's become a steadfast and faithful friend ... a friend who listens, who challenges, who laughs, who accepts, who encourages, who loves. Trust me, Ali and I have made up for lost time over the last few months in the heart-to-heart talks department. And my friend Donna ... I don't know that I can even put into words what Donna means to me. She's been my boss for 10 years, but she is so much more than that ... she's one of my dearest friends. She cares so very deeply about me, and she wants so desperately for me to not only survive ... she wants me to really, really live. Donna has talked me through and supported me through and hugged me through and loved me unconditionally through some big life stuff over the last 10 years, and as to how many heart-to-heart talks I've had with Donna ... I'd say at least a million or more.

I know that should any of the gals I just mentioned ever leave our company, the friendship we share will remain. I know that because I know it's happened with others who have left to pursue other opportunities or have moved away. I know that because today, one of those friends mentioned me in her blog post. And I was very humbled by her words. She's a devoted mom, and she truly loves her husband. She's an incredible writer, and she's inspired me time and time again. She blogs about life ... the good, the bad, the beautiful and the ugly. Sometimes her words bring me to tears, and sometimes they make me laugh until I cry. She knows what it's like to live in the dark cavern of depression, and she knows what it's like to claw your way out to the light of day. Her blog is "Universal Grit." Best. Blog. Name. Ever. You should most definitely read her entry for today here and then you should most definitely go back and read a bunch of her posts and then you should most definitely share her blog with everyone you know. Did I mention she's an incredible writer?

 http://universalgrit.wordpress.com/2013/03/06/a-friend-with-a-powerful-message/

  

No comments: