Monday, March 4, 2013

Too Many Goodbyes

Though I love working in the advertising field, there's one thing about it that I don't like at all. Not one little bit. People change jobs often in advertising, especially young people who are just getting started in their careers. And me being who I am, many of those youngsters make their way into my heart and become like my children to me. So when they leave to pursue other ventures, it's hard to say goodbye. While we always promise to keep in touch, life so very often gets in the way and despite all our good intentions, we gradually fall out of touch with one another. I must say, however, that I've had a ton of people get back in contact with me again over the last week or so, and it's been so good to chat with them and catch up on what's been going on in their lives.

As is true for all of us, there are certain people who leave a big mark on my heart, people who get inside my soul and claim a spot ... they claim their spot in a big, giant way. And over the last few weeks, a couple of those special people whom I worked with decided it was time to go down a different road on their work journey. Each one of them took me into a conference room to tell me they were leaving, and yep, I cried like a baby both times. I'm beginning to see a pattern when it comes to me going into conference rooms and crying ... maybe I should stay out of them, huh?

We had a party at the end of the day today at my office, a meet and greet for all the new folks who've joined the company since we won the Sonic account. I had to step away from the festivities to finish up some editing work, and I ducked into a conference room (alone this time) because it was too loud at my desk. I forgot to take my ruler with me, so I left the room to go grab it from my desk. As I walked in front of the big room where the party was taking place, I heard my friend whose last day was today ask someone where I was. I walked over to her and said, "Here I am," and she gave me her parking pass and key fob. My young friend hugged me, and as I tried to say goodbye, tears filled my eyes. Though there were many things I had planned to tell her before she left today, I simply hugged her tightly and struggled to hold it together. And then I walked back into the conference room and bawled my eyes out. I finally just gathered my things and walked out to my car to head home. I cried all the way home, and I've been flipping weepy all evening.

See here's the thing ... the young gal today? She and I weren't very close until a few months ago; in fact, there were times when we just didn't get along very well. But something happened that changed both of us in a big way ... remember that meeting I had with some of the gals in my office last October? After that day, my young friend became one of my strongest sources of encouragement and acceptance. We've had many a heartfelt chat since the day of the meeting ... shared many a hug ... cried many a tear. She's my friend, and I will miss her smiling face and her sweet hugs (she's been known as the best hugger in the office) a ton, a ton, a ton.

So tonight, I wish you all the best, my young friend ... I know you're going to be hugely successful in your new gig. And please know this ... you made a big impact on this gray-haired gal at a time when I doubted I'd ever find my way again. Hugs to you ... and remember, dinner is on me!

No comments: