Thursday, March 14, 2013

So ... Let's Talk About Church

Many of you know that I grew up attending a small Southern Baptist Church because I've written often about the fond memories I have of Alpine Baptist. My daddy was the chairman of the deacons, and my mom was a member of the Women's Missionary Union. Daddy used to say if the doors of the church were open for any type of meeting, we would be there ... and that's exactly the way it was as long as I lived in my parents' home. We went to Sunday school and church on Sunday morning. We went to Baptist training union on Sunday night. We went to prayer meeting and choir rehearsal on Wednesday night. We went to church every night of the week when there was a revival. When there were special activities on Saturday, we went to those. I was in singing groups, Bible study groups, prayer groups and I was the head dog in youth group when I was a teenager. For as far back as I can remember, church was part of me ... church was who I was ... church was in me through and through.

So ... let's talk about church. Let's talk about what church should be. My son-in-law Barrett is the pastor of a church about an hour and a half from where I live. Which makes my daughter Meghann a pastor's wife ... yep, it does indeed. I've had cause to visit their church a few times, and each time I am there, I am deeply aware of the spirit that is present among the people of the congregation ... a welcoming spirit, a caring spirit, a loving spirit. And I'm also deeply aware of the depth of love and concern that my son-in-law and daughter have for the people in their church. Barrett and Meghann visit the sick, play games with the elderly, babysit the children, feed the hungry, invite the lonely, comfort the grieving and love the unlovable. They minister to the people in their congregation, and the people minister to one another. Barrett and Meghann are involved in the people's lives, and the people are involved in one another's lives. They know when someone is ill or lonely or having a baby or needs help around the house or is short on money to pay their bills. And the people in the church know those things about one another as well. They know those things about one another and they help one another because they care ... because they love ... because that's exactly what Jesus commanded them to do. Yes, they gather on Sundays and other days for services and Bible studies, and Barrett preaches every week (straight from God's Word, I might add). But church for the people who attend those meetings and church for Barrett and Meghann is way more about what happens outside the walls of the building than what goes on inside. I know that some of you are thinking that I'm biased in what I say about my son-in-law and daughter's church, and maybe I am a little. But I do know this, if the church were not an hour and a half away from me, I would attend there ... even if my son-in-law weren't the pastor. Why? Because the people in that church are getting it right in all the ways that matter most. Because that's what church should be.

So ... let's talk about church. Let's talk about what church should not be. Church should not judge others because of illness or economic or marital status or clothing or past or present or future behavior or ... church should not be a place of judgment, period. Church should not have cliques or exclusive groups. Church should not envy or boast. Church should not welcome some and not others. Church should not be unconcerned or unknowing about the needs of others, both within its walls and without. Church should not be divisive. Church should not worry more about money than people. Church should not be hypocritical. Church should not hate anyone. That's what church should not be.

So ... let's talk about church. Let's talk about why I'm not going to church right now. I've gotten a lot of messages over the last couple of months asking me where I stand on church and if I'm attending anywhere. I could probably write a book about that particular subject, and maybe I should one day. But for now, here's what I'd like to say. I love God. And surprisingly, He still loves me. My faith has taken quite a pounding over the last couple of years, yes. But I still love God. And surprisingly, He still loves me. I'm not sure at all, however, that the church still loves me. My only comment, and it will remain my only comment, is that for now, my church is in my living room on cold or rainy days, and it's outside on my trail when the weather is nice. Again, I say ... I still love God, and surprisingly, He still loves me. And that, friends, that love I have for God and His love for me, has little to nothing to do with what goes on inside the walls of a church building and everything in the universe to do with what goes on inside the walls of my heart.

So ... let's talk about church. Let's talk about love. Let's talk about service. Let's talk about peace. Let's talk about acceptance. Let's talk about loyalty. Let's talk about compassion. Let's talk about church. 

3 comments:

Prekelicious said...

Brennan Manning said "The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today is Christians who acknowledge Jesus with their lips
then walk out the door and deny him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable."

Its totally true. Don't let imperfect humans dampen your love for a perfect God. He will always love you.

Wanna see a ton of snow? You can come to my church :)

Pat said...

When I read this blog I instantly thought of Jesus, who rarely entered the temple, except to engage the pharisees and teach them about God the Father and to chase the moneychangers from the temple. That says a lot, my Christian friends. Jesus taught where the people gathered around Him; he didn't limit His love, healing, and forgiveness to inside walls of a building.

God does inhabit the praises of His people when they gather in His name. More important, He is with us wherever we are. And, He does expect us to live as Christians 24/7...and that means when we are at work, at play, at His service--even when we are alone in our homes or on the trail walking our weiner dogs!

Terrie, I want you to know that God loves you and me--and every other human being He ever created!

Thanks for a blog that gives us a chance to meditate on who we are in Him! Love you, dear sister in Christ!!!!!!

Ele said...

As you know, church for me isn't confined to a building these days for a variety of reasons. That said, your post is dead on. God created ALL of us, and he loves ALL of us. Wouldn't it be nice if the church could do the same?